Basically it allows you to install custom tweaks to enhance your iPhone to your hearts desire. Have a look at my previous post (Free your iPhone... Jailbreak it!) which has a couple of short videos explaining why you should, as well as my recommended jailbreak tweaks that I try and keep updated.
Which devices can be jailbroken on iOS 6.1.2?
As of 4th of Feb, 2013, you can use Evasi0n to jailbreak iOS 6.1 on the following: iPhone 5, 4S, 4, 3GS, iPod Touch 5G, 4G, iPad Mini 4,3,2. As of 20th of Feb, 2013, evasi0n updated their software to jailbreak 6.1.2
I'm interested, what do I do next? .... Backup your iPhone to iTunes!
- In iTunes, right-click on iPhone, and click on Transfer purchases.
- Once completed, click on Backup.... and wait....
- "Syncing" your iPhone does not mean it is backed up to iTunes!
- If your iPhone is currently jailbroken, save your SHSH blobs so you can downgrade to a previous iOS in future: iFaith video tutorial and download link
- For a more details on completely backing up your iPhone (i.e. Contacts, Calendar, SMS, Photos, Cydia), please see my previous blog post: iPhone Backups
- Update to iOS 6.1.2 (using iTunes)
- Do not update using over-the-air update feature on your iPhone
- Download the appropriate IPSW file: LINK
- Put your phone into DFU mode: LINK
- Connect your phone to the PC and load iTunes
- Hold Shift + click Restore button (Alt/Option + Restore on Mac)
- Point the file to the downloaded IPSW
- If you are already on iOS 6.1.2, I recommend resetting the phone:
Settings > General > Reset > Erase all Content and Settings.
- (If you think your iOS 6.1.2 was over-the-air, I recommend a DFU re-install) .
- Jailbreak your iPhone iOS 6.1.2
- If previously jailbroken:
- Install some Cydia apps: AppSync v6, APTBackup, OpenBackup, iBye
- See my first jailbreak blog post for an up-to-date list of Cydia repos for these apps..
- Restore your iPhone
- Connect the iPhone to iTunes and RESTORE to the most recent backup point.
- This will restore most of the settings & data e.g. email settings, photos, SMS. You may need to manually re-input some mobile network settings.
- Sync apps and media: In iTunes, click on SYNC
- If previously jailbroken:
- Use APTBackup, OpenBackup and/or iBye to restore previously installed Cydia packages
- APTBackup and OpenBackup MIGHT be able to restore some of your Cydia data
- Feedback about restoring using iBye:
- "If restoring from iBye, don't have the cable plugged into your computer - it did some weird stuff once with this scenario (the apple logo appeared in the background with the loading bar, like if you were updating the iOS - freaky.)"
- "Annoyingly iBye didn't restore mail account details, photos, or other things; only SMS and notes only."
- iOS6+ specific apps to install:
- App Store: Google Maps, YouTube
- Cydia: AppSync v6
For a more detailed information (e.g. approx time per step/section mentioned above), please see my previous post: Updating Jailbroken iPhone 4S iOS 5.0.1 to 5.1.1 ...the principles behind the backup/jailbreak/restore are the same.