If you have updated to iOS 6+, please see my iOS 6.1.2 jailbreak post [Added Feb 20th 2013]
In this post, I will explain my process of updating jailbroken iPhone 4S iOS 5.0.1 to iOS 5.1.1 UNTETHERED jailbreak.
Save SHSH blobs
- Using TinyUmbrella, download and backup the SHSH blobs
- (both with and without "request SHSH from cydia" option)
Backup Cydia apps
- Using Cydia, install APTBACKUP, OpenBackup and iBye
- Press backup in all programs.
- I recommend more than one as I have not found one that's 100% reliable yet.
- Read my iPhone Backups blog post for details
Backup iPhone to iTunes
[10-20mins depending on when you last completed a backup]
- Connect iPhone to iTunes
- Right-click on iPhone in iTunes and click on Transfer purchases.
- Once complete, click on Backup.
- Read my iPhone Backups blog post for details and other methods
- (Whist you are waiting to backup, download the IPSW file in the next step)
Update to iOS 5.1.1
[approx 10-20mins depending on internet connection]
- Download the IPSW file for your device: LINK
- Put your phone into DFU mode: Link to Instructions
- Connect your phone to the PC and load iTunes
- Hold Shift + click Restore button (Alt/Option + Restore on Mac)
- Point the file to the downloaded IPSW
(Reset all content and settings - do this step if you updated iOS via another method)
[approx 5-10 mins]
- On your iPhone, go to: Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Content and Settings
- After your phone reboots, go through the menu options, connect to your wifi, and start up as a new phone. You don't need to input your iTunes details (click skip).
Jailbreak iOS 5.1.1
- Download the latest Absinthe (currently 2.0.2), and install.
- Follow the guide on this website to jailbreak.
Install some Cydia apps
- AppSync 5+, APTBACKUP, OpenBackup, iBye
- This will allow all your previous apps to be transferred back to the iPhone during the restore process.
Restore your iPhone
[approx 1-2 hours - depending on how much data you had on your phone]
- Connect the iPhone to iTunes and RESTORE to the most recent backup point.
- Then Wait... wait... and wait some more....
- This process restored most of the settings & data e.g. email settings, photos, SMS. I needed to re-input my giffgaff phone network settings.
- Note: during the restore process, iTunes created a new backup point and my mac required 8gb of space for my iPhone which currently has 16gb of data.
Sync apps and media
- In iTunes, click on SYNC.
- Half way through, my phone rebooted itself without completely restoring all my apps. After it rebooted, I simply clicked SYNC again, and all my apps were back.
Restore Cydia apps & tweaks
[approx 20-40mins depending on server load and how many tweaks/apps you have from Cydia]
- As jailbreak for 5.1.1 has ONLY just come out, I believe the cydia servers have been very busy/slow. Please be patient.
- I initially loaded APTBACKUP and clicked on restore and gave up after 10mins. I wasn't sure if it was working or not as there is not progress bar. It may have possibly been extremely slow due to the server load(?)
- I used OpenBackup and clicked restore. This restored about 50% of my Cydia apps and tweaks.
- Following this, I went into Cydia, added the sources, and queue the tweaks/apps in small batches at a time to install. The restore process actually kept all my settings so as soon as the Cydia app/tweak was re-installed, it worked exactly as I had set it up e.g. SBSettings had the correct theme.
If you are wondering what Cydia tweaks/apps to install, or wondering why you should jailbreak your device, have a read of my previous post: pangosworld.blogspot.com/2012/04/free-your-iphone-jailbreak-it_06.html
Other useful iPhone related blog posts found here: http://pangosworld.blogspot.com/p/iphone.html